Products & Equipment
JLG ClearSky Smart Fleet turns connectivity into interactivity
August 21, 2023 By Don Horne
JLG Industries, Inc., an Oshkosh company and a global manufacturer of mobile elevating work platforms (MEWPs) and telehandlers, now offers standard ClearSky Smart Fleet connectively on most new JLG equipment.
This breakthrough IoT (Internet of Things) technology launches with 25 unique features, including analyzers, telematics and productivity applications, into a single connectivity beacon on JLG machines for seamless back-and-forth interaction through a comprehensive ClearSky mobile app, a user-friendly web portal or an advanced API. Equipment owners and operators can send a prompt to the beacon to identify a machine’s status or perform diagnostics wirelessly through the mobile app.
“ClearSky Smart Fleet is a bold, new frontier in fleet connectivity,” says Ara Eckel, director of product management for JLG’s connected solutions. “It’s a true, two-way fleet management and communication platform that turns yesterday’s one-way data transmission into two-way interactivity that gets JLG equipment fleets talking like never before.”
According to Eckel, ClearSky Smart Fleet is more than yet another singular piece of software. It is built as a robust, constantly evolving IoT platform capable of delivering new functionality, new insights and new ways to run more efficient, cost-effective operations.
Comprehensive Mobile App
Developed from the ground up, the all-new ClearSky Smart Fleet app provides a modern mobile experience to manage data and machine interaction, even when cellular data and Wi-Fi are not available. For example, key features of the mobile app include:
- FIND MY MACHINE — This feature activates audible and visual cues from the machine to make equipment identification and location effortless. “With ClearSky Smart Fleet, equipment owners and operators can light a specific machine’s beacon or honk its horn with the tap of a screen,” says Eckel.
- MACHINE STATUS INDICATION — Visual cues from the machine allow equipment owners and operators to wirelessly identify a machine’s status, such as active diagnostic trouble codes (DTC)s, battery or fuel level, ignition and more “…simply by looking at the color of the beacon,” says Eckel.
- DIGITAL ANALYZER — Perform diagnostics wirelessly with the built-in analyzer functionality that replaces the JLG wired handheld analyzer.
- DIGITIZED INFORMATION — Access to targeted information, such as parts and technical manuals, to help solve service issues without moving a step.
- COMING SOON: DIGITAL ANALYZER READER — A one-page summary shows a machine’s set-up, personalities, diagnostics and fault log data, which can be downloaded and shared.
User-Friendly Web Portal
The ClearSky Smart Fleet web portal delivers clear, efficient navigation and powerful features for immediate visibility into a fleet’s health and performance data. To help digitize daily processes, the web portal features include:
- DYNAMIC DASHBOARD — Display as much data as needed through a dynamic, action-oriented dashboard. “Whether a fleet view or individual model view is wanted, powerful filters and tailored customization, including drag-and-drop window widgets,” says Eckel, “allow any role to prioritize the actionable insights necessary to maximize productivity and ROI (return on investment).”
- MACHINE LEVEL DATA — Access to specific serial number and asset ID data, such as interactive schematics, knowledge articles, technical manuals and parts information, can be done in seconds.
- EXPORT — Generate reports and export the overview dashboard as a PDF or Excel file.
- UNIFIED LOGIN — ClearSky Smart Fleet is now part of Online Express, allowing for single sign-on and access using Online Express credentials. “By integrating ClearSky Smart Fleet into JLG’s Online Express service, equipment owners and operators can manage a fleet, troubleshoot machine issues and order parts — everything they need to keep a fleet in top shape — with a single login,” says Eckel.
- COMING SOON: AUTOMATIC SITE NETWORKS — Receive notifications when a machine arrives at or leaves a job site using the site network feature. “Site Networks act like automated geofences,” says Eckel, “when two or more machines are within range of a local connection, a site network is formed automatically, simplifying equipment tracking and reporting.”
Equipment owners and operators can effortlessly combine actionable, JLG-rich, ClearSky Smart Fleet data into a current telematics solution to manage an entire mixed fleet from a single screen, no matter where they are. “Our next-generation IoT platform offers an integrated, enhanced data feed to combine actionable, JLG-rich data into our customers’ in-house solution to manage their entire mixed fleet from a single screen, maximizing efficiencies and improving ROI,” finishes Eckel.
ClearSky Smart Fleet is being introduced as a phased global rollout, starting July 2023. Customers with existing JLG products can continue to use the legacy ClearSky program for their connected needs. Both platforms are integrated into Online Express, JLG’s 24/7 e-Commerce site. Visit smartfleet.JLG.com for more information.
Print this page